Thread: Poser <-> Blender import/export options.

Poser <-> Blender import/export options.

Poser side:
    1. When exporting an OBJ of a figure from Poser, I know to uncheck anything that doesn't belong to the figure (ie Ground), or any part I don't want/need to work with, but does Body, GoalCenterofMass, and CenterofMass get checked or unchecked?

2. Are these options the same for exporting for use in Blender (taken from RealityPaint FAQ)?
    -Uncheck Weld body part seams
    -Check As Morph Target ( no world transformations)
    -Check Include body part names in polygon groups
    -Check Use exact internal names except spaces
    -Uncheck remaining options

Blender side:
    3. What are the correct import options for Blender so the morph will work right in Poser? I'm using 2.68a atm.
    When creating morphs for Daz Studio, on Blender import I unchecked NGons, Lines, and Smooth Groups, used Keep Vert Order, checked Poly Groups and then used -Z Foward and Y Up.

I don't have Zbrush, so I plan on messing with Blender's sculpt mode, which I know to disable Dynamic to avoid adding polys.

4. These are the export options I have, which ones should I check?
    Selection Only
    Animation
    Apply Modifiers
    Include Edges
    Smooth Groups
    Include Normals
    Include UVs
    Write Materials
    Triangulate Faces
    Write Nurbs
    Polygroups
    Objects as OBJ Objects
    Objects as OBJ Groups
    Material Groups
    Keep Vertex Order

Forward/Up I'm assuming is the same -Z Forward and Y up with a Scale of 1.00.
    There's also Path Mode with options for Copy, Strip Path, Match, Relative, Absolute, and Auto.

5. Are these import/export options going to be the same when importing quicksuits and exporting clothing?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figure it'd be better to get it all in at one spot. lol

I haven't done anything yet so I don't know if there's any options on importing a Poser morph target to ask about.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..
    @Deviantart @ShareCG

Hello Vaskania

This tutorial I found some time ago is a little dated but it will I feel answer most of your questions it is the one I have used to build mankins to make clothing for Poser and Daz figures Making a Clothing Rig I have not had the rotation issue since Blender will import the obj in the right rotation. In the obj import options I un-check in the split tap both by group and objects and keep vert order I place a check in poly groups but if you are making morphs you may want to do the opposite and import with split with check mark in both by group and object. I also leave scaling alone and do not change scaling on export form poser or when importing to Blender.

Enthusiast Contributing Artist Artisan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaskania View Post
    Poser side:
    1. When exporting an OBJ of a figure from Poser, I know to uncheck anything that doesn't belong to the figure (ie Ground), or any part I don't want/need to work with, but does Body, GoalCenterofMass, and CenterofMass get checked or unchecked?
    Doesn't matter.

2. Are these options the same for exporting for use in Blender (taken from RealityPaint FAQ)?
    -Uncheck Weld body part seams
    -Check As Morph Target ( no world transformations)
    -Check Include body part names in polygon groups
    -Check Use exact internal names except spaces
    -Uncheck remaining options
    Sounds fine, but for morphs I wouldn't export the figure at all. I'd import Dawn.obj from the Geometries folder.

For
    Blender side:
    3. What are the correct import options for Blender so the morph will work right in Poser? I'm using 2.68a atm.
    When creating morphs for Daz Studio, on Blender import I unchecked NGons, Lines, and Smooth Groups, used Keep Vert Order, checked Poly Groups and then used -Z Foward and Y Up.

I don't have Zbrush, so I plan on messing with Blender's sculpt mode, which I know to disable Dynamic to avoid adding polys.
    Sounds exactly like what I use, and I've already been able to make a Dawn test FBM.

4. These are the export options I have, which ones should I check?
    Selection Only
    Animation
    Apply Modifiers
    Include Edges
    Smooth Groups
    Include Normals
    Include UVs
    Write Materials
    Triangulate Faces
    Write Nurbs
    Polygroups
    Objects as OBJ Objects
    Objects as OBJ Groups
    Material Groups
    Keep Vertex Order

Forward/Up I'm assuming is the same -Z Forward and Y up with a Scale of 1.00.
    There's also Path Mode with options for Copy, Strip Path, Match, Relative, Absolute, and Auto.
    For my Morph export preset I only check:
    Selection Only
    Apply Modifiers - For morphs, I don't use modifiers that change the vertex count. Just as an FYI, Shape Keys count as a modifier. So if you want to make multiple morphs, you turn them on, then export with this checked.
    Polygroups
    Keep Vertex Order

Yes on the Z Forward, Y Up, and I've never even looked at the Path Mode options.

5. Are these import/export options going to be the same when importing quicksuits and exporting clothing?
    First of all, I wouldn't suggest using a quicksuit. It's so very, very much better to model your own clothes, or even your own "quicksuit." Most models use subdiv, and it's worlds easier to work with the low resolution version than the subdivided one. But while I can only speak for my own clothes, they definitely don't work properly at the lower resolution. I couldn't distribute them in that state. But if you are going to use a quicksuit, then yes, you should probably use the same importing method.

Exporting is different. Then you want to also check
    Include UVs
    Write Materials

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figure it'd be better to get it all in at one spot. lol
    No problem at all!

I haven't done anything yet so I don't know if there's any options on importing a Poser morph target to ask about.
    Not really. For a single body part morph, you select the body part, choose Object > Load Morph Target, then browse for your morph target. For a full body morph, choose Figure > Load Full Body Morph. The trickier part is how to get from there to an injection pose. Then it matters what tools you have. I use Poser File Editor (PFE), and it can make injection poses (though I've never done that with it before). You can do it by hand, ala Nerd3D's tutorial for PMD's or Acrionx's tutorial for deltas.

I hope that helps!

Somehow I missed these replies Thank you lobo for that link, and thank you kobalt for having the patience to cover all of that. :D

I always forget about using the obj straight from the geometries folder. I came from DS and started moving into Poser so I'm not used to having those readily available.

I'm not sure if I have my terms right, but the "quicksuits" I'd be using are from Lyrra's Devkit for Dawn (got them in a bundle with the fitroom helpers and magnets): http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/i...Product=100161
    As far as modeling my own from scratch, erm, I'm not quite sure how that's done. Molded cubes and cylinders? I also need to look into Hivewire's stance on shrinkwrapping.

For the INJ/REM I think I'd have to load up a clean Dawn, import the morph target, then save a new CR2 so I can get the PMD, then use binary morph editor from there (at least based on the tools I have).
    @Deviantart @ShareCG

Oh, you're welcome! Glad I could be of some help.

Ah! Yes, that's one of the many ways in which DS is more closed than Poser (in the sense of closed and open source). Poser's openness was a big reason for it becoming my production app of choice.

PFE is actually by the same person who made Binary Morph Editor, with Binary Morph Editor being more focused on inj/rem poses. It will definitely do what you need. And it sounds like you've got the process all sussed out.

Yes, you have your terms right. And I didn't realize Lyrra's quicksuits were so low res, and ready to be mirrored. That's very cool. They look very well made, and perfect for what you want to do. Still, it's generally good to make your topology fit your clothing design. Which isn't a problem if you already know how to model. But the less you know about modeling, the less you're able to customize someone else's work. It's a _very_ impressive resource with lots of options. It's more than worth its price. I'm very impressed with how comprehensive and usable it looks, just from its description. My only concern is that you seem to be saying you don't know how to model yet, and using a quicksuit at this stage might be more crutch than training wheels.

Just speaking _totally_ personally, I started off using Blender for morphs. It didn't help me at all in terms of learning to model. It didn't teach me to make surfaces myself. It didn't help me learn about topology. Even looking at other people's topology only helped once I really started modeling. Same goes for UV mapping. I had to do it myself first to get a context. It helped me get comfortable with Blender, which was a huge help. But it didn't help me with understanding topology and uv maps. The only thing that helped me learn modeling was actually doing it. I didn't find a way to ease into it. It just took practice.

I don't at all assume it would be the same for you. I just figured I'd share my experience in case it's useful.

In terms of how it's done, you just model around your figure. There's lots of techniques for modeling in Blender, and the best method depends on what you're making, so I can't give you instructions so much as very general advice. Look at subdiv and polygon (modeling poly by poly- not as bad as it sounds with subdiv) modeling, and don't start off worrying about thickness. Deal with details last. Start with primitives, extrude edge loops as you can, and extrude polys and vertices to make custom topology where a simple even line won't do. I tend to start with a cube at the waist, bring one side to the middle (x = 0), delete that side, the top and bottom, add a mirror and a subdiv modifier, and then start adding loop cuts and extruding.

Keep your poly count very low, and work with at least 2 levels of subdivision. If you start making props that aren't pure clothes, you might want to scale up from Poser size. Otherwise you have to eyeball your scale. That's easy for clothes and less easy for things that don't follow the figure. I work at 2.5x's Poser in Blender, which gives me a roughly accurate conversion from Poser to Blender that I can use Blender's scale. I use meters for the easy decimal math, and just convert to inches in my head (2 inches is about 5 cm). That way I can work to roughly to scale when I needs something more accurate than eyeballing.

IMHO, modeling is kind of like learning how to draw, only in reverse. Drawing and painting are all about learning to reduce the 3d world to flat areas of different colors. Modeling really involves this mental switch to get you designing 3 dimensional surfaces. To me, it's totally different than just posing and placing stuff in a scene, or even pushing around polys and vertices in an existing mesh.

You don't need to shrinkwrap, any more than you have to trace to use a photo reference when drawing. Shrinkwrap is useful for some things, but it forces vertex placement. I don't use it myself.

Your cube method sounds a lot easier than what I had imagined in my head, lol. I may give that a go after all.

One other thing, do you know if using symmetry in Blender's sculpt mode will mess anything up on Dawn? I've read countless times on the Daz forums to not use symmetry in Zbrush because it messes up the vertex order or something. I was just wondering how it's possible to get a morph to look the same on the left/ride sides of the face/body without symmetry if that's true.

Sorry for not getting back right away. Been walking away from the PC on/off since I felt myself getting burned out.
    @Deviantart @ShareCG

Name:  fits all post.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  49.0 KB

Yes, symmetry in Blender's sculpt works fine.:smile3: Both of those characters are pure sculpts with a bit of scaling and expression.

And please, don't worry about when you respond. I very much understand that everyone on forums has a real life, and needs space to take care of it.

Those morphs are great! Thanks again for all of the help. I think I've had better information from this one thread alone than all of the bits and pieces I've managed to gather elsewhere.
    @Deviantart @ShareCG

Thank you very much on both counts! I'm very glad to help.