• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Horseblanket

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
So I saw in the wishthread that somebody wants horseblankets and legbindings so I thought why not give it a go.
While taking a bit off time from the seahorse I tried to work on a blanket.
I am, however, a bit unsure. It's some time that I had to do with horseblankets. In my time we used to have those straps around the backleg and to cross them so the blanket wouldn't slip. Is that still done? From the reference images I looked at I couldn't quite make out the system at the backlegs.
Does anybody know? If there are none these days I don't have to worry about hooks at the rear end :p
Question... for the legs are those bandages wanted or rather something more fancy like the leather guards one sometimes sees when horses tend to kick themselves on the cannon?

blanketback.JPG

blankets.JPG

buckles.JPG

buckles2.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Its been quite awhile for me too (approx. 30 years) but that's how I remember them! :)

The thoroughbred tack has the wrap (bandage) kind, so my wish would be for the leather style they use for showjumping etc.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Its been quite awhile for me too (approx. 30 years) but that's how I remember them! :)

The thoroughbred tack has the wrap (bandage) kind, so my wish would be for the leather style they use for showjumping etc.
got an image of what you would like? There are SOO many different types of bandages around!

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
(Harry needs shoes too :p)

Workin' on it. In between working on everything else! Morphing, to swap between keg/rim/sliding plate/racing plate/medieval wavy rim/draft, also between no clips/toe clips/quarter clips, and with nails. Been a while since I did anything on them, I was getting stuck on texturing (I realised I needed to re-UV map with all the morphs at maximum settings, to avoid stretching, which meant reworking the whole thing, and I was also starting to think I'll have to look for someone to work with to do textures). But here's a render of what I've got, anyway:

hose shoes render.png

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Workin' on it. In between working on everything else! Morphing, to swap between keg/rim/sliding plate/racing plate/medieval wavy rim/draft, also between no clips/toe clips/quarter clips, and with nails. Been a while since I did anything on them, I was getting stuck on texturing (I realised I needed to re-UV map with all the morphs at maximum settings, to avoid stretching, which meant reworking the whole thing, and I was also starting to think I'll have to look for someone to work with to do textures). But here's a render of what I've got, anyway:

View attachment 34519
Rofl... now that sounds like somebody who knows his shoes... her hers. I won't meddle here then.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
So I saw in the wishthread that somebody wants horseblankets and legbindings so I thought why not give it a go.
While taking a bit off time from the seahorse I tried to work on a blanket.
I am, however, a bit unsure. It's some time that I had to do with horseblankets. In my time we used to have those straps around the backleg and to cross them so the blanket wouldn't slip. Is that still done? From the reference images I looked at I couldn't quite make out the system at the backlegs.
Does anybody know? If there are none these days I don't have to worry about hooks at the rear end :p
The ones I've seen most recently (i.e. last week at the stables) have a crossover under the stomach but no straps between the back legs.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It could be the difference between a stable blanket and paddock one? Or a Horse and Pony one? I've seen pony ones that only have a strap that goes under the tail and no leg ones (but they do have the belly ones)

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
It could be the difference between a stable blanket and paddock one? Or a Horse and Pony one? I've seen pony ones that only have a strap that goes under the tail and no leg ones (but they do have the belly ones)

You may well be right, it's mostly ponies and stabled horses I've seen recently with rugs (the big 'uns I help with aren't rugged, they don't do enough fast work to need clipping so they resemble ginger teddybears in winter). I see online catalogs are referring to leg straps (and detachable leg straps) on their turnout rugs. I can ask around the riding stables tomorrow and see what people are using.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Looks good to me/very much like the 2 blankets laying around here I never use:) LOL my horses are never clipped/VERY fuzzy and go barefoot. I do like the idea of making the back straps hideable though.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
grrrr... I modeled the blanket ok and I intended it to work for Gforce but G force isn't interested in working for it :((! Looks like g force really hates double layered stuff.. my hard bits pass right through the loops. Guess I need to sew them to the iron bits. Second problem... if it is hard it won't move along... sigh. Anyone has experience with gforce? I wish it was MD... works really almost perfectly in md ...

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Sorry, such things can really be a frustration, but once you break through, then you will be able to do anything! If you are on Facebook, you can join DAZ Studio Addicts, and there are several there who have been doing lots of work with dForce. They can likely help. They are a good group (I'm an admin there.)

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Sorry, such things can really be a frustration, but once you break through, then you will be able to do anything! If you are on Facebook, you can join DAZ Studio Addicts, and there are several there who have been doing lots of work with dForce. They can likely help. They are a good group (I'm an admin there.)
Thanks for the hint but I have avoided facebook and won't change that now. I should look at the DAZ forum to see if there are people working with gforce.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Whoot!

So, I went back to Sugar and Spice, to check whether there was a similar problem with that. I only spotted it with 07A/07RevA- but I've found a fix for that, with Diva! I'll finish tidying all that up so that set's ready for re-beta (I've done the expressions now), and then I'll see if the fix I used there will also work with Jungle Kids.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
some progress with the horseblanket. I initially wanted to create a gforce blanket, but the buckles and hardware just didn't want to play nice so I rigged it. Then I wanted to see if I could still get to do a gforce drape. The lying horse worked fairly well although I had to stop the drape at 99% because the final pose caused the hardware to explode... probably because of collision issues. But for a quick and dirty attempt it looks fairly ok, especially as the rigging allows slight tweaks once the draping is done. There is a bit of poke through but I didn't want to spend time getting that out. I do think this could work. The back and neck region are conforming to the horsebody, but the shoulder, and leg bones are individually posable to get better results. Takes a bit of tweaking to get the best posing but I think it should work fine. Prolly going to offer it as a freebie though.
now to try for some bandaging.

horseblanket.png

horseblanket2.png

horseblanket3.png